Despite plenty of scientific evidence and patient testimonials that hold laser eye surgery in high esteem, some LASIK myths just don’t seem to go away. For instance, many people still think that the results produced by this form of laser eye surgery only last for a few years or that this procedure is dangerous. These ideas are simply not true. When searching for laser surgery near me, many patients should schedule a consultation with a LASIK surgeon in order to learn the truth about the procedure.
Laser Surgeons Near Me
LASIK eye surgery is a widespread elective procedure that is used to permanently correct vision problems including astigmatism, nearsightedness, and farsightedness. When you visit a LASIK surgeon, you will receive a comprehensive eye exam in order to determine if you are eligible for this form of laser eye surgery. If not, there are some available alternatives like PRK or SMILE that may be better suited to your condition. Either way, it is important to get a professional’s opinion before committing to a particular procedure, even if you qualify for all of them.
If you are looking for a long-term solution to your refractive errors, then laser eye surgery is certainly an avenue you should consider. Learn more about how LASIK corrects vision and why it is a safe and reliable option. Here are a few facts that can shed light on LASIK myths:
- LASIK surgery is efficient. Unlike other kinds of surgeries, LASIK can be completed in under 20 minutes. Many LASIK patients comment on how easy the surgery was because of the efficiency of the laser technology and the skill of their surgeon. This is one of the reasons that so many people recommend LASIK eye surgery.
- LASIK surgery treats many kinds of prescriptions. While earlier versions of LASIK were limited in their treatment strength, new technology has ensured that patients of all different kinds of prescriptions can be helped with laser eye surgery. Now, LASIK surgeons are able to correct a greater range of prescriptions and refractive errors. The best way to see if you are eligible for the procedure is to get a comprehensive eye exam from a professional.
- LASIK patients describe the procedure as quick and painless. Not only is this elective procedure fast, but many patients say that they feel little to no discomfort during the surgery and after. LASIK surgeons will recommend any necessary eye drops or eye shields in order to promote the best healing for each patient.
- LASIK surgery is effective in treating vision problems. LASIK eye surgery has one of the highest patient satisfaction rates of any elective procedure, meaning that many people see a noticeable difference in their clarity of vision and quality of life. Many patients are able to achieve 20/20 vision or better and can go without contacts or glasses for many years to come.
- LASIK surgery is a cost-effective option. While many people see the high price tag of LASIK, they forget to look at the procedure as a long-term investment. Getting LASIK eye surgery is actually more cost-efficient than a lifetime of wearing contacts or glasses. Plus, many LASIK clinics offer financial packages and payment plans which help offset the immediate cost.
- LASIK surgery fixes your true prescription. While wearing contacts or glasses can help you see better, they are not actually correcting your vision. They are simply adjusting your perspective in order to see more clearly. With laser eye surgery, you are investing in a true vision correction alternative. This is why laser eye surgery is the most permanent vision correction option on the market.
How LASIK Works
The excimer lasers used by an ophthalmologist during the procedure are designed to reshape the cornea itself. This enables light to enter the eye properly and be focused onto the retina. Doing so eliminates the imperfections in your eye that are causing myopia, hyperopia or astigmatism, resulting in clearer vision. In and of itself, reshaping the cornea is a permanent process. Meaning, it is impossible for your eyes to revert to their previous state afterward.
Still, patients need to understand that LASIK is not a cure-all for all issues with your eyesight. The operation only seeks to correct the vision problems you had when you came in for the treatment. Therefore, it is possible for your prescription to change naturally or you may develop other issues after you’ve had the surgery. A patient’s farsightedness or nearsightedness may begin to progress again, for example. It is worth noting, though, that slight alterations you may experience will never be quite as bad as your condition before the surgery.
What’s more, this doesn’t happen that often and even if it does, patients have a good option for dealing with it, called LASIK enhancement. According to the American Refractive Surgery Council, the LASIK enhancement rate is only at 1 to 2 percent in the first 12 months, and then about 1 percent a year following the surgery.
LASIK enhancement is a follow-up LASIK procedure performed if a patient’s vision changes significantly over time or if you find the original vision correction to be unsatisfactory. Patients need not worry about their wellbeing when undergoing LASIK a second or third time since it is completely safe. Surgeons conduct meticulous evaluations to make sure that you are still a good candidate. LASIK is indeed a long-term solution for your existing vision correction needs, but it does not prevent changes that naturally occur with age.
Laser Eye Surgery Near Me
At the Excel Laser Vision Institute, we have a team of highly skilled and dedicated staff such as Harvard-trained surgeon, Dr. Moosa, that are available to serve you and your vision needs. Our clinics serve the greater Los Angeles and Orange County areas and support a wide range of clients. If you are searching for laser surgery near me, then please feel free to give us a call at (866) 923-9235 or visit our website: https://www.exceleye.com/.